08 February 2015

What's in a Name: Frederik

I absolutely love names, it's always the first thing I want to know when someone has a baby. I don't know where or when my fascination started but I thought I'd indulge myself a little on here by exploring some royal names, both past and present. To kick it off, let's take a look at a name that's extremely popular over in Denmark, Frederik.


Frederik and it's various forms has it's roots in the Germanic regions of Northern Europe. It means 'peaceful ruler' which is very apt for any member of a royal family, particularly a future King.

Frederik has been used by many of the royal families but the most notable is without a doubt Denmark. For almost 500 years, Danish Kings have alternated between the names Frederik and Christian. The tradition continues with the current heirs, Crown Prince Frederik and Prince Christian. The name is also popular generally amongst the Danes with it coming in at number 7 on the list of most popular boys names.

When I was younger I always saw Frederik as quite an old man's name but now I absolutely love it. I'm not going to lie, Crown Prince Frederik has definitely helped, as has a certain member of the Weasley clan. Honestly, if Baby Cambridge #2 is a boy, it would make my year if William and Kate called him Frederick! It's probably unlikely but a girl can dream, right? Seriously though, I can understand why it's as popular as it is, it's classic and sophisticated and who can deny the cuteness of it's nicknames, Fred and Freddie?

Current Royal Fred's
HRH Crown Prince Frederik of Denmark
HRH Prince Vincent Frederik Minik Alexander of Denmark
HH Prince Nikolai William Alexander Frederik of Denmark
HRH Prince Constantijn Christof Frederik Aschwin of the Netherlands

Let me know what you think of this little series. I plan to cover all the popular and interesting names that are currently in use with the Royals but let me know if there's any names you want me to talk about.

Megan x

Photo: Franne Voight for kongehuset.dk

No comments:

Post a Comment